Wednesday 12 September 2012

How Travel Changes...

When I was 18 I used to have an hours train journey into work and back. I used to relish this quiet time. A time to catch up on some reading or to just reflect on the day ahead or even to relax after the day has passed.

This morning I'm travelling up to London on the 07:03 train. It was hard to decide what to bring with me to occupy my time on the journey. I chose crochet and a magazine. My husband chose his iPad on which he's now watching a film.

As I look around me on this train and listen to the constant dings, rings and jingles that signify a new email, text or phone call I wonder when things changed. I also spot more than half the people around me with some form of media tablet. There's a woman diagonal to me who has 3 phones. 3. Do I have an iPad? I certainly do. But I also relish leaving the technology behind to have some peace and reflection.

I'm sitting here as I enjoy having some time to myself and wonder how the little things are being missed. How technology is now so important that a peaceful train journey is now a busy bustling journey and I haven't seen a single person with a good old fashioned book or a magazine.

I wonder how it will be in a couple of years time?

Ironically I picked up my phone to blog about it. I'm now putting my phone down to get back on with my crochet whilst everyone around me gets stressed and angry at the small delay we've encountered.

For me it's the simple things.

No comments:

Post a Comment