Tuesday 6 November 2012

My Mum.

Two and a half weeks ago my mum visited our house. She needed to talk to me. Knowing that she was having some marital issues I assumed it was to sound off about those. No. She had found a lump in her right breast and it had been confirmed by her doctor that morning that it was indeed there. I felt myself getting slightly emotional but also tried to play it down and tell her that it would all be fine.

I've spoken about my mum on here before, in fact if you look at past posts you'll see pictures of her and in quite a few of the days out we have been on and the holiday we went on this year, she was with us. I'm close to my mum, our children adore her, Kenny gets on brilliantly with her and she does so much for us.

Even though I knew deep down that it was more than likely to be nothing to worry about, the fact that two other members of our family have had breast cancer played on my mind a alot. I'm sure it did hers too but whenever we have spoken about it she has remained upbeat. I on the other hand was terrified.

I never take the things my mum does for us for granted. She looks after the boys two mornings a week so that I can go to the gym and do some work, she pops over for coffee if Kenny's away and she knows I want some company and she brings me flowers because she knows I love them. She makes me laugh, she makes me feel special, she makes me feel loved. On the other side she can also frustrate the hell out of me and drive me nuts but hey it wouldn't be a normal relationship if we didn't have those moments!

What I do take for granted is her being here. Being at the end of the phone if I have forgotten something (happens alot), being a text away if I just want to check in with her and living only a few miles away so that I can see her a few times a week.

My mum's appointment was this morning at 9:40. She told me she'd only let me know at the end of the process. At 10:15 my phone went. It was mum saying that she was fine. It was hormonal imbalances causing lumps and bumps and she needed no follow on appointment. I was immediately filled with a sense of relief, gratitude and happiness. The feelings I felt afterward made me realise just how worried I had been.

I won't take my mum being here for granted anymore. I won't take anybody being here for granted anymore.

I love my mum xxxx

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear your Mum is OK Lisa. It's moments like these that really make you realise what and who you are grateful for. Cherish every moment you get with your family.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire and thanks for reading and commenting. I couldn't agree more xx

      Delete
  2. Just read this with tears in my eyes and holding my breath! Have been so worried for you all!!

    So, so relieved that everything has turned out ok Lisa, I knew how worried you were.

    Beautiful post, and wonderful news xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stace and thanks for the chats, they helped a lot :-) xx

      Delete