Monday 14 January 2013

Meal planning=less waste

So one of the many resolutions I made this year was to reduce the amount of good I waste. I never intentionally let food go to waste but I am always suckered in to the offers and buy one get loads free deals.

One way I thought to combat this was to plan my meals for the month, I've done them before weekly but only sporadically and half heartedly.

So how's it going I hear you ask? It's brilliant! I look at my print out on my freezer to see what needs to be defrosted and go from there.

I can honestly say I've stuck to it pretty much with a change here and there to use up leftovers from a previous meal but what really hit home today was putting the bins out for rubbish collection tomorrow. We normally have 5-6 black sacks-I know it's terrible (made worse by the fact I compost all fruit and veg). Well today with clearing both bins I only have two and a half black sacks. This is amazing bearing in mind that one of those sacks had nappies and cat litter in from the outside bin.

I'm honestly shocked that it has reduced this much already. Now I'm on a mission to reduce it to two sacks only, one for the outside bin and one for indoors!

How do you ensure your waste is kept down? Any ideas to help me reduce even further (other than to get rid of the cats!) are greatly received!

Lisa xx

No comments:

Post a Comment