Wednesday 21 November 2012

Learning to read.....

It never fails to amaze me just how absorbent children really are. I mentioned in a previous post that Nathan is really interested in language and I wanted to jump on it, which I have. I recently posted on a Home Ed forum for some advice on fun reading programmes to try him with and the one that came up trumps was Reading Eggs, somebody kindly gave me a code for a months free trial and I set it all up last night.

Well what can I say! It's pretty impressive not just in the interactive sense but also with how it captured Nathans attention. He's going through a tired spell at the moment and I'm going to cut out and daytime nap as he's just waking up too early for his little body. However, given that he is tired, he's just sat and done 15 minutes of it and managed to learn how to navigate my touch pad on my lap top as well as do the activities. What I also like about the program is that I can also buy accompanying books that will be good at reinforcing what he will learn. I know it's early days but I really think he'll enjoy it and if he doesn't well we can try something else.

I've also been told about some of the Leap Frog learn to read items and I'm going to invest in a couple of those too after all Christmas is coming up!

I've started to go to a couple of Home Ed groups which has been good although I think we won't need them too much at the moment as we're so busy with other things, but I do think they will definitely have their place and it's good to know they are there and that the support is so good!

If any of you have any other tips on teaching little ones to read in a fun way I'd be grateful to hear from you, in the meantime I'm going to plan lots of christmas crafts :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment