Tuesday 7 January 2014

A Schedule is formed.

I decided that over the Christmas break I wanted to get a rough schedule in place so that we started covering a bit of the basics. Reading, writing and math. As it happened what with family being over, spending time generally being with the boys and Kenny time ran away with me (quell surprise) and it didn't get looked at.

I set aside Saturday morning to have a look through it and after 3 hours I had a rough schedule in place. Not a long period of time, just 15 minutes for each. I'm not sure how it's going to go and to be fair I tried to implement it after having 3 hours sleep which was crazy-I certainly didn't have the enthusiasm required and it rubbed off onto Nathan. I also had a  few activities in place for Ethan but mainly a couple of Montessori activities.

I would class this morning as an epic fail and I have completely doubted having a schedule at all. After all one of the reasons we're homeschooling is to make the boys learning fun and not have them sitting doing worksheets-exactly what I had Nathan doing this morning although to be fair, I only wanted him to do a couple of pages but he seemed to enjoy it and did 6.

I'm also at a loss on how to introduce ideas to them to spark an interest so that we can go down an 'interest lead' route? It'll come to me but any ideas/suggestions are greatly received!

Thanks :-) x

1 comment:

  1. Sorry - I know this post was weeks ago and you've probably found a solution by now, - and I'm pretty sure you do this already anyway, but with Joshua I just hone in on something he's mentioned, watched, read, seen etc and cover it in all areas. Maybe...I don't know, seasons for example, we'll get books, maybe catch a specific episode of a kids tv show about it, collect leaves, twigs etc, use them to make pictures, draw leaves and identify different ones by name, tree rubbings, perhaps even bake leaf shaped biscuits, count the trees we pass on a walk. Just tie everything in and then pretty soon he's the one that notices something within the same topic and then continues it in one way or another. You could even make up fun worksheets with writing/maths covering nature names, shapes, counting etc. See, I'm pretty sure you do this already with your dinosaurs, and the fun boxes you make up etc - I bet you just didn't realise you were doing it so well!

    ReplyDelete