Monday 13 October 2014

Day 1 Screen Free.

So the day started with Nathan talking about not having any screen time and all was good. We went to Drusillas today which is a local zoo to us. We have been members for 2 years and I renewed again today. They offer a 25% discount which makes joining again worthwhile.

As we were leaving Ethan asked for TV when we got home, I explained we weren't having any screen time for a while. Cue massive meltdown. It was hard. He was rude all the way home kicking my chair and calling me a stupid idiot. It was hard. Really hard.

Once we got home he had a nap but when he woke again he got angry about the TV. This is what I struggle with the most. He didn't like TV at all until March and even since then he would only watch a tiny bit. Recently though whether it's down to me being a bit lazy or them wanting to watch more, our screen time has increased. I have noticed a massive deterioration in their behaviour and they are extremely out of character at the moment.

After this though we had an amazing afternoon. The boys got on better, we spent time making puzzles, playing in the garden and then the boys started an art project that they worked on for over an hour. They are also wanting to work more on it tomorrow. Bedtime was much easier and nicer for us all as well.

I've received some negative comments on Facebook regarding me doing this and I'm really quite surprised to be honest. It's been suggested that it's a punishment. This isn't the case. My boys are just 5 and just 3. I wouldn't use the TV to punish them. I'm not, however happy with the change in their character. It's upsetting for all of us especially the boys.

I'm looking forward to seeing how our week unfolds and I'm enjoying spending more quality time with our family and watching relationships become closer.

Here's a few snippets of our day including their art project.





No comments:

Post a Comment